Friday, March 26, 2010

So, what's new with Seth?

Even Anna was telling me I need to make a new post, since she has written the last three or four. Sorry about that... Anyway, things are going great for me! For some reason it feels like I have an easier setup than Anna, even though I teach more classes. I love my second school, Gacheon. The students are incredible, and the co-teachers are helpful friendly.

It's kind of funny how things are working out. My first school, Meung-In, is actually very challenging, especially Monday. That's because I have High School grade 1... Sometimes they drive me nuts! One native English teacher here actually suggested I start making them do wall-sits to keep them in line, and actually I probably will!

By Wednesday, I wonder what we are doing in Korea, and then my middle schoolers save the day. They are a lot of fun, and very excited to be in class. Thursday and Friday are amazing though. The kids at this school are just priceless.

Yesterday, one of my periods randomly cancelled class so that the first and third grade high schoolers could play soccer... in the rain... on a sand field. Well, the girls had no interest in this, so they dragged me into the auditorium for Karaoke!!! Apparently, this school loves karaoke so much they bought a massive machine with probably 5,000 songs, including English. So after getting an "example," I serenaded them with "Georgia on my Mind." The funny thing is that when the students sing American songs, their English is perfect! I didn't know the songs they sang (mostly Beyonce), but they sang them great. Right before lunch, and to cap off the "concert", they insisted I rap for them... Never had much talent for that. It was... interesting. But they loved it, so it was fun.

Anyway, I'm about finished with my day here, and getting ready to leave, so I'll write some more next week.

Seth

3 comments:

  1. Is that Georgia on my mind by James Taylor? How did you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this song on their Karaoke?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6X3N8myg9Y

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm, well, I know it by Ray Charles, but maybe. I did ok. Also, I don't know, but that video is blocked on Korean youtube so I don't know what it is.

    ReplyDelete