Thursday, March 11, 2010

Snow day!

So! Most of you saw my facebook post yesterday about how I had a snowday. Officially, it was the first time a snowfall like that has happened in 50 years in our part of Korea. The bus ride out was terrifying! Our ride couldn't get her car out of the snow, we took the bus. The roads were sloshy and awful, and at one point the bus actually got stuck! However, it was actually a very warm day, and the snow was melting quickly. It looked amazing! It was a very wet snow, so every tree branch was draped. It really was beautiful. I have no clue why my school cancelled the second half of the day, though, because the snow was halfway gone by the time they did. I'm pretty sure it was just an excuse to go home, and to let the students play in the snow.

So most of you were probably feeling sorry for Anna because she had to stay at work all day and she had to turn down entrails for lunch. Well... don't. My co-teachers were so excited to have a half day that 4 of them insisted on taking me out to lunch. My buddy, "Peter," a 50ish year-old widower who absolutely loves almost anything to do with me, told me that they were taking me to a place that is famous in Korea for it's hand-rolled traditional noodles. He proceeded to describe how natural and unprocessed and healthy traditional korean food is, which is true.
Anyway, when we got there, the other 3 teachers were waiting for us. We sat down, and this is what Peter said:

"We are going to have traditional hand-rolled noodles, but first, I want you to try something new. I'm not going to tell you what it is, because most Americans don't like to eat it, but (mumble, mumble, mumble) insides of a pig."

...

So there I am, the only American in the restaurant, sitting with four 40-50 year old Koreans who have just payed for my meal, and out come the entrails! :) I really have no way of dodging this one, because the first course was served communal style as lettuce wraps, with Kimchi, garlic, traditional Korean sauce, and hot peppers. While you're reading this, just think about that for a second: entrail lettuce wraps! Well, that was the one thing I tried not to do, was think about it. I've decided that the best way to eat things you don't know the origin of is to not think about what it is. Even if it doesn't taste good, just get down, smile, and say thank you.

Anyway, that is why you shouldn't feel sorry for Anna. She didn't eat it.

Today was an awesome day teaching, I had so much fun! I teach at two schools. The first, Meung-In Middle and High School, is a private informational school. Informational school basically means "school for kids who aren't going to be doctors or lawyers or businessmen or teachers." These are basically the future blue collar South Koreans, who really don't care about English. Consequently, the high schoolers have very little English ability or desire to improve. I have 9 classes of 30 in high school, and 3 classes of 6-15 in Middle school (which is glorious, by the way). I have one of those very fancy 52 inch touch screens for my lessons, and 3 co-teachers: Peter, Mr. Lee, and Mr. Che. Mr. Che is my "co-teacher/life assistant." He is the one who is assigned to be my "protector." :) He is a chain-smoking, outdoorsman with a secret desite to gamble, and he's great.

My other school is Gacheon middle and high school. I work at Meung-In M-W and at Gacheon Th-F, but I kind of wish it was the other way around. The students at Gacheon, although at a similar ability level English-wise, are incredible. My first two classes I struggled, because they were my first two classes period, my powerpoint wouldn't work, and they were the only bigger classes in the school. It's difficult to keep high schoolers entertained without visuals, a back-up plan, or any reasonable idea of how skilled they are at English. After a week under my belt, however, I can't wait to go back. I have six classes there: High School grade 1 (Sophomores) has 22 students; High School grade 2 has 9; High School grade 3 has 30. Middle School 1 (grade 7) has 12, Middle School 2 has 10, and Middle School 3 has 7. Whereas my co-teachers at Meung-In are all older guys, my co-teachers at Gacheon are slightly younger women, and very involved in the classroom, which is nice.

Anyway, I should go, I just wanted to let you guys know a few things about my teaching situation and some of the... interesting things that are going on.

Seth

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear about your schooling and how well that is going! That's great! Now about those entrails, How were they? I mean I don't plan to run right out and order some but it would be interesting to know how they were! You smiled and got it down, how did it taste going down?
    Still miss you and hope your getting your computer problem worked out.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you are loving teaching! :)

    ReplyDelete