Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Perfect Work Day

Every Korean school takes a school trip. At my middle school, the grade levels take different trips with their class. This week the first graders went to a camp, the second graders went on a three day hike up Soraksan (Sorak Mountain), and the third graders went on a hike up a mountain to a small, but very famous Buddhist temple. I got to go with the third graders to the Buddhist temple.

We hiked for about an hour and twenty minutes before reaching the temple. The weather was perfect for hiking, 60 degrees and sunny. I hiked with 120 thirteen-year-old girls and three male teachers. Two other female teachers went, but they did not want to do the hike, so they met us at the top of the mountain. For me, it was the perfect way to spend a work day. You can imagine what the 120 thirteen-year-olds thought of it. They despised it. As I hiked along side them, they continually said, “I’m dying!” “I can’t do it.” “I’m so tired.” “I’m so hot.” Many of them fell and others took a few spare moments to sit down. I attempted to encourage the students at the end of our snake-like line, continually shouting “bali, bali” (hurry, hurry) and “You can do it!” Most of the walk was gorgeous; however there were a few times when I was a little taken back.

As we walked through a very rural area that preceded the mountain, we heard tons of dogs barking. At first, I thought maybe they were watch dogs, guarding property. As we got closer, I realized that all of these dogs were in wire cages. The cages were also concealed with tarps so that no one could look in. However, if you searched hard enough, you could find small openings. As we got even closer, I saw students pinching their noses shut, and I quickly put my jacket over my nose. The area smelled revolting. When I was able to get a look into the cages at the barking dogs, I realized that they were in similar cages to that of a pet rabbit’s cage. Wire raised above the ground so that when the dogs went bathroom, their deposits dropped to the ground to prevent them from walking all over it. I saw mounds and mounds of mushy dog crap, and I got a peek at some very scraggly dogs smooshed together in very confined spaces. I finally accepted the thought that kept popping up in the back of my mind. “The dogs are being farmed.” I eventually got the courage to ask one of the students, and she said, “Maybe they are to eat.” I knew it, but having it confirmed made me so sad that I haven’t been able to shake the thought.

Once we reached the summit, I gave each student a high-five as she took the final step to the temple. At the temple, we drank water from a natural water spring that is the basis for a legend.

A long time ago, a young prince was blind. Desperate to correct his vision, his mother took him to every physician she could find. No one was able to cure him. One day she took him up the mountain and found this spring. Here, she washed his face with the fresh water. The water healed his eyes. It was kind of interesting to know that I was drinking water form this famous stream.

After resting and taking pictures, the students took out their lunches and began to eat. Some of us teachers sat down with them. As I have said before, Koreans are very generous. The students fed me their lunches, some of them prepared by their mothers and some of them prepared by themselves. They used their chopsticks and spoons to feed me as a mother would feed her child. It was a fun and new experience, but in the back of my head, I couldn’t help thinking, “I wonder how many thousands of germs are being spread between us right now?” - 120 students and teachers sharing lunch - After getting my fill of the students’ food. The teachers had a picnic together that was provided by the students’ parents.

The Buddhist temple had elaborate carvings, vibrant colors, many miniature Buddha statues. Unfortunately, I had problems with my camera, so I will not be able to post pictures. As we hiked down the mountain, we walked through a traditional Korean village where a TV drama was being filmed. The students were so excited.

All in all, it was a great work day. I was so happy to get to know my students on a different level, and to see them out of their school uniforms!

Anna-Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment