Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Last Week

Last week in Daegu, we . . .

. . . experienced the coldest day in April in 45 years.
. . . had snow in April for the first time in 92 years.
. . . realized that Korean shopping hates us. It’s quite depressing. I don’t recommend trying it. I left every single store feeling like a big, fat, giant American. We can’t find shoes or pants in our sizes. After quite the ordeal, we did find a couple of shirts.
. . . went for a hike up a mountain near a beautiful river. I decided that living in the heart of the city is fun for now, but I prefer the country. Although it was a beautiful, sunny day, everything was hazy because of the yellow sand. I’m not sure if I have seen a purely clear sky since we arrived :(
. . . had our first American, Kenyan, Korean Bible study in English at our apartment! What a blessing :)

Last week, I heard . . .

“Teacher, you have an “S” shape.” The student proceeded to make the shape with her hands. That was quite entertaining :)
“Your husband is so handsome.”
“Your eyes are so big.”
“Do you have a baby?”
The students saw my wedding ring. They asked if the diamonds were real. When I said yes, they all said, “Oh, wow, your husband is a rich man!” Koreans very rarely wear their wedding rings, and from what I have gathered, diamonds are uncommon.
“You are very inconvenient.”
“Very, Very thank you.”
“White, white, white,” as they pointed to my face! This was on our hike, and I had multiple people do the exact same thing.

Each week brings something new and interesting!

-Anna

2 comments:

  1. I had a male student kiss my hand after a class.

    Yesterday, in between classes, I was leaning on the podium and some kids were running around. Another male student went behind me and paused to pat my backside...

    The weird thing was, he didn't seem like he was trying to be rude, or funny, or inappropriate even. He just did it... That is definitely the weirdest thing that has happened to me so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW that last comment was me - Seth

    ReplyDelete