Monday, May 9, 2011

Pregnancy is like Puberty

My body went crazy during the first trimester, as expected from word-of-mouth and the three pregnancy books I purchased (What to Expect When You're Expecting, Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn, and Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy). I had a light bulb moment after the purchase that all three books probably say the exact same thing with a slightly different perspective; however, because of the very impersonal, "in and out as quickly as possible" style of medical care that Korea provides, the books have been my constant companions. There are things about going to the obstetrician in Korea that are great. For example, after the Korean War, the government encouraged families to have as many babies as possible, but they quickly had a surplus of people on a peninsula the size of Tennessee, so the government enforced a two child per family rule and then pushed for one child per family. Nowadays, the government is once again encouraging families to have children because of the decrease in population. In fact, each mother receives about $320 as a gift card to use at the obstetrician’s office. This may not sound like that much, but keep in mind that the last three times I have been to the doctor for a check up, including an ultrasound, it has cost approximately $30. There are also some things that are not so great. For example, I have been given little to no advice on how to take care of myself, I have been given very little information on my baby’s health and development, and I have been given no information on potential problems, how to avoid them, and what should be done if I encounter them.

I've heard through my mom and sister-in-law that usually, in the States, a woman doesn't go in for the first doctor's appointment until around 10-12 weeks. I went in at six weeks, had an ultrasound, got to hear that baby’s rapid heartbeat, and take home pictures of little Baby Schuett. After getting the first ultrasound, I understood why people refer to their babies as peanut. Baby Schuett really did look like a peanut, or, as others would say, a manatee or a gummy bear :)



Dealing with the anxiety that accompanies the thoughts of miscarriage is exhausting. I know and love many women who have struggled through the devastation of a miscarriage, and I’m sure that fearing it is nothing close to experiencing it. After going through some worrisome and seemingly abnormal symptoms, I called our Korean friend, Gook Shim, with concern. She only heightened my worry by saying, “Oh, I think it's a problem. You could have gone in to the emergency room!” Fortunately, after a rushed visit to the doctor, we discovered our baby was not only healthy but quite a bit bigger. We got to hear the racing heartbeat for a second time and got to take home another set of pictures. At this stage the bulbous head and minute body were clearly distinguishable :)

The third visit occurred just a week after my emergency check up. We got the results that everything was normal with the tests, and of course, we got to hear the heartbeat again and take home more pictures. Baby Schuett was so cute! His head was huge, and his body had tiny little arm buds. He looked like a little floating alien :)


Being pregnant is like going through puberty. During the first 14 weeks, my body was dealing with sudden, rapid, and unpredictable changes: vicious breakouts, extreme mood swings, sudden weight loss and then sudden weight gain, tenderness, bursts of energy, fatigue, irritability, frequent bathroom trips, neediness, and the list goes on . . .

This may sound strange, but early on I was excited to start “showing.” Despite all of the pregnancy symptoms, it didn't really feel like I was pregnant. I wished there was some way to routinely check up on my baby without having to go to the doctor. It’s a little weird not knowing what’s going on in the oven! I thought “showing” would give me some confirmation that things were progressing.

On April 6th Seth, Gook Shim, and I went to the obstetrician for my three month check-up. We were so surprised that even though I didn't have a baby bump yet, the doctor did a trans-abdominal ultrasound. To our amazement, Baby Schuett actually looked like a baby, not just a blob :) We could easily distinguish the head, nose, chin, spine, arms, and legs. He/she was also wiggling around so much that it seemed like the ultrasound was tickling him/her. To top it all off, our baby waved at us :) We could even see the heartbeat on the monitor. God is mysterious and creative. Ultrasounds give a beautiful glimpse into the life of an unborn baby. After seeing the miracle of life in the womb, I am struck by the fact that people claim embryos/fetuses are masses of cells, not human beings whose brains are already controlling their heartbeats, who can move, and who can feel pain.



I am currently in the “golden or honeymoon” of my pregnancy. Like the books said, almost as soon as my second trimester started, my body began changing again. Sometimes it's easy to forget that I'm pregnant. All nausea and digestions problems have subsided. The frequent bathroom trips have leveled off. My utter fatigue and exhaustion is gone. I have more consistent energy and sudden adrenaline rushes. I haven't noticed as many extreme mood swings. The reminders that I'm pregnant are my uncomfortably snug pants, increasing appetite, disappearing belly button, growing baby bump, and extra itchy skin.

Last week we returned for my four month check up. Baby Schuett was so much bigger! He/she looked quite crowded in there. I can't even imagine how snug it'll be later on . . . Once again, he was wiggling around during the entire ultrasound. It actually looked like he had the hiccups. He kept bouncing. Although I was tempted to find out Baby Schuett's gender, we told the doctor that we wanted to wait and have it be a surprise, but after leaving the appointment, Seth said, “I think it's a boy.” I still think he/she is a boy too, but you never know! It was amazing to see all the intricate body parts so clearly. The spine, ribs, fingers, toes, etc. are so distinguishable. I just wanted to sit there an keep looking at him :) I also had a QUAD screening done. This screening checks for hormonal imbalances that might indicate a chromosomal problem. Because I took malaria medicine while I was unknowingly pregnant, we were okay with having the screening done. It could help us to prepare for any special circumstances; however, if the screening indicates the possibility of a problem, we are going to leave it at that and do no further testing. God has given us the privilege of being parents, and we are going to embrace that through any circumstances.

In all honesty, I'm still excited to start “showing” more. My ideas may be unrealistic, but I think it's going to be fun to have a big round belly and show it off with cute summer shirts :) I'm 17 weeks pregnant and have gained three pounds. I wonder when I will really start putting on the weight???




No comments:

Post a Comment