Friday, May 28, 2010

Pieces of Our Life

Random School Happenings

Each week, I teach my students an American slang word or phrase. The text book language is dull and boring, and they like to learn how I speak. I have taught them "How's it going?" "What's up?" "My bad!" "Sweet!" and "Icky." In order to teach them "icky," I showed a picture of a cow-pie, and I had some students close their eyes and smell and touch nasty canned dog-food. Afterwards, I asked the students to give me some examples of things that are icky. They didn't know the words in English, so they said them in Korean and acted them out. My co-teacher helped me to decipher what they were saying. After I figured out what they were trying to say, I taught them the appropriate words in English. They learned boogers, farts, dung, runny nose, throw up, mold, etc this week. They loved it.

My students are so kind! On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have a discussion class with five high school students. This week, they bought me ice cream and brought it to class!

While I was Skyping my parents during my free time, some of my students came to say hi to me. I let them chat with my parents for a little while. They loved it. They all said, "Oh, your mom is so beautiful." "Oh, they have good voices!" They were so excited that they were actually talking to my parents who are in America!


Our three year anniversary date - We went out to a fancy dinner downtown. The restaurant had live music and delicious food. We didn't eat rice, soup, or Kimchi (Korean staples). We wanted to go to a famous park in Daegu and rent bikes, but it rained for like four days straight :( Seth gave me Coach purse!!!

Sexy Seth

Three years of marital bliss :)

The view from my office. We have noticed that the skies are much "clearer" after a rain. You can see the mountains for a much greater distance, and there is no haze hovering over everything. We believe that the rain washes away the Yellow Sand (sand, dust, pollution) that constantly covers the Korean skies. After a rain, you can see suspicious patches of yellow sand clinging to sidewalks and roads. The masses of silver in the valley are green houses for growing melons. Seongju (the county we teach in) is famous for small yellow melons.

Preparing games for "sports day" at our church.

The church ladies playing a Yut Nori, a tradition Korean game.

Seth hanging out with our good friend, Maurice, from Kenya. He is studying theology in Korea and is a leader in our church. We also host English speaking Bible studies with him. Someday, we are going to visit him in Kenya! He taught us the acronym *OINK* (Only In Korea).

Hanging out Korean-style (on the floor) with some of the Korean ladies from our church during church "sports day." Traditionally, Koreans eat, sleep, and lounge on the floor. Seth gets made fun off because he can't sit on the floor well. His legs are too long :)

Bowling on the empty fourth floor of the church. We used empty Coke Bottles and a volleyball :) Before the games began, we had a "picnic" in this location.

This is an elementary school adjacent to our apartment. Korea has many varieties of beautiful flowers that bloom throughout the spring.

This picture is for you, Andrew! MLB is crazy popular in Korea. Many of the Korean baseball teams are named after American teams (Twins :) Giants, Bears, Lions, etc.) We hope to go to a game soon.

Oops! We attempted to make pancakes. Since we couldn't read the Korean directions, we eye-balled it. Where we assumed it said the serving size, it said 3-4. Seth thought that meant 3-4 pancakes not 3-4 servings :) We will be enjoying pancakes for awhile.

I just want to give a shout out to Bennigan's. Thank you for ranch dressing and margaritas :)

-Anna-Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment